Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Don LaFontaine

Very sad to hear about the death of Don LaFontaine - if you don't know his name, you'll know him as Trailer Voice Man. There are quite a few people who do trailer voices, but his was definitely the best, and most recognisable. I love trailers, sometimes they're so good you wish you were watching that movie instead of the one you're about to see. Of course, we all know that a trailer often bears no relation to the movie at all, but that's half the fun of it. A good, well made trailer can start the evening off perfectly - the Alamo cinema in Austin sometimes shows retro trailers before a new movie, just to get people in the mood, something that happens at FrightFest here in London too. And it's not quite the same without Don LaFontaine's voice booming over the images. Click here for a short video about the man and his career.

Also, since we're on the subject, I can never resist the chance to link to this. It's not Don doing the voice, it's another guy called Hal Douglas, but it's a hilarious celebration of trailers and Trailer Voice Men. I must have watched this trailer a hundred times, and it still cracks me up - it's for the documentary movie Comedian, and is 90 seconds of comedy gold.

4 comments:

Good Dog said...

The Comedian trailer is genius beyond belief. On the Entertainment Weekly website’s brief tribute to Don LaFontaine it also links to 5 Guys in a Limo. In case anyone wondered what happened to Nick Tate after Space:1999...

amandaa1rose said...

The Comedian trailer is, indeed, the funny.

Speaking of funny, don'tcha owe me a link of funniness starring Martin Short (incidently I was all 'Ohhhh, *him*' when I saw a pic. For sure, I remember him from Inner Space)? Yes, yes you do. I shall be waiting, constantly checking my inbox from... NOW!

Dim said...

Thank you, thank you thank you! I was shown that trailer years ago by a friend who subsequently lost the link and couldn't remember what the movie was...Delighted to discover it was as funny as I remembered. Incidentally, I just fired off an angry e-mail to the Radio Times regarding Alison Graham's polemic about the portrayal of men on tv, in which I described you and your fellow "Spooks Code 9" writers as "the cutting edge" of writers. No charge.

John Soanes said...

A terrific trailer indeed, and the film's pretty interesting too (if you like comedy and seeing the process behind it).
J