Friday, September 12, 2008

Forbidden Planet signing for Doctor Who Storybook

Right, three more brief announcements before the next big post. Running low on time before I go to Texas, so things might slow down, he said, pretending that he does regular blog posts.

The writing team on Law & Order: UK has officially been announced. "Top writing talent"! And they're including me in that description! Clearly a typo, it should say "top writing talent, including TV's James Moran, who is also handsome and witty". Obviously I'll be sending them a letter to correct this. Written in crayon. On a piece of human flesh (not my own).

More guests have been announced for next year's Gallifrey convention in Los Angeles, which I am attending. Super duper guests include Nicola Bryant, Phil Ford, Keith Temple, and many others, at the link. Oh, and some bloke called Gareth something-or-other, apparently he plays a character called "Ian Toe" in some TV show about aliens and stuff, I think it's called "Touch My Wood".

And finally, the big Forbidden Planet store in London is having a signing session for The Doctor Who Storybook 2009, available in all good shops now etc etc. Several of the short story authors will be there, including one particularly striking, talented chap called... oh, how embarrassing! It's me! The signing is on Saturday 4th October, from 1 - 2pm, at Forbidden Planet, 179 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC2H 8JR. From the website:

Authors on the day include: Gareth Roberts (The Shakespeare Code and The Unicorn and The Wasp), Keith Temple (Planet Of The Ood), James Moran (The Fires OF Pompeii), Clayton Hickman (Doctor Who audio writer), Gary Russell (Script Editor on Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures) and Jonathan Morris (Doctor Who book writer and audio writer).

This is particularly exciting for me, because I've attended several signings at Forbidden Planet in the past, mainly back when the shop was on New Oxford Street. The last one I went to there was Amber Benson, who played Tara in Buffy (damn you Whedon TO HELL for what you did, oh I can't stay mad at you, let's be best friends again forever, although I am still upset and will feel free to mention it again whenever we argue, kthxbye). So it'll be very cool to see it from the other side. Pop along if you're in the area, and get your books defaced with our squiggles.

12 comments:

charlotte3006 said...

"Pop along if you're in the area, and get your books defaced with our squiggles."

haha James you make me laugh! Aww I'll miss your blogs when you're away! Have fun anyway!!

By the way, just wondered if you could give me some tips or advice on how to get into the BBC as a scripwriter (bearing in mind im 16 and in college)? It's my dream, and since you are a pro I thought you might be able to give me some ideas! Haha, thanks.

cant wait for torchwood, im sure it will be FANTASTIC!

Charl :) x

Nelle said...

Texas again?! Will you be anywhere near Dallas/Fort Worth? Can I come stalk you... err, I mean, accost you with accolades to your genius?

Chuck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chuck said...

Wow, congrats. James, you are having more fun than anyone with their clothes on should.

Happy to hear of the guests for the next Gallifrey. Last year was my first ever convention of this kind. It was different, in a fun sorta way.

I especially enjoyed your presentation on "Sleeper", very funny, err at least I hope you were being funny.

Be safe in your travels.

James Moran said...

Charlotte: I'm doing a huge post about that very subject, so hang in there - but the short version is, write a lot, read a lot, re-write a lot, and repeat until exhausted. Will hopefully finish the blog post soon.

Nelle: I'll be in Austin, at the Fantastic Fest - www.fantasticfest.com. Or click on Fantastic Fest over in the labels on the right of this very blog. Went two years ago with Severance, and had a superb time. Accolades to my genius are always welcome - I'll be hanging around the Alamo South Lamar most of the time, probably drinking, if you see me please do come and say hello.

Chuck: Thank you! Yes, I was being funny on purpose, thankfully. I've been funny by accident too many times...

TallulahBelle said...

Hah! I hated Tara until Season Six when she just became brilliant and then she died. Cruel Whedon, cruel. But well played, nonetheless.

(Which brings me to a Very Important Question; have you seen Dr Horrible's Sing-along Blog, oh witty and handsome Mr Moran? This ends the sucking up portion of this comment. And in fact, ends this comment entirely. There.)

Jayne said...

The only thing Joss Whedon ever did that upset me was...oh yes, the entire 7th season of Buffy. Now I come to think of it, she was responsible for Tara too.

BaaBaaDoodle said...

Seriously Texas AGAIN?! Well, you should be out of harm's way in Austin. The coastal areas are quite messed up and without power. My friend who lives in Austin is actually in Israel at the moment so I haven't heard if the power is out in Central TX too. I think it's okay though.

Have a great trip and get back safely so we can finally get that script-writing post.

James Moran said...

Tallulah: I have indeed, and am disgusted at how funny, clever, and touching it was. The entire thing was clearly intended to make me feel bad about how untalented I am in comparison to the evil genius that is Whedon. I will probably get the DVD and watch it again several times, out of sheer anger. But yes, hilarious and heartwrenching stuff, although I wish he wouldn't kill characters so callously, it makes Uncle Jimbo sad. Not really into the modern musical thing, so I'd have been happy for there to be no songs at all, I know, I am a blasphemer, but it's just the way I am. Having said that, that final song just killed me - the final image wouldn't have had a fraction of the power without it.

BaaBaa: Yeah, the lure of the meat and beer proved to be too strong. I hope everyone's okay after the storm, it looked terrifyingly huge and evil.

Dim said...

Mr Moran. Sir. Milord....
Following on from Charlotte3006's request for tips and advice, is there any chance you could post a version of your tv scripts (for a completed and broadcast episode) I'm always curious about the variation betwen written and filmed material, plus there's the bonus of seeing properly formatted *real* work, rather than the Janet and John examples from the fine series of "Write for tv" books we all have on our shelves. Well, I have. You probably have grown up books, and ones signed by Amber Benson.

James Moran said...

Sir Dim: I would, but they're not technically my property once I hand them over, so I'm not really allowed to. However, the BBC Writersroom site has several available, for broadcast episodes, including DW, Spooks, Ashes to Ashes, etc - have a look through here, and enjoy the tasty morsels of script goodness.

Danacea said...

Was great to see you at FP London, James - fantastic turn out for you guys. Please come back and see us soon!