Friday, October 31, 2008

Spooky do's

It's Halloween! Booga-booga-booga!

As is traditional, me and Jo will light candles, carve pumpkins, put on spooky music, then watch a selection of horror movies to celebrate the occasion. We watch The Exorcist every year, because it never loses its power. Some other classics get rotated every 2 or 3 years, so this year it's the turn of The Thing (Carpenter's version), because it's fantastic, and Halloween (do I need to say which version? I certainly hope not). I've also spent the past couple of months picking up new DVDs here and there, so we have a big stack to choose from, including Patrick, Road Games, Salem's Lot, Q The Winged Serpent, The Stuff (yeah, Larry Cohen double bill, that's how we roll), The Hidden, 10 Rillington Place (I'm counting it as a horror), The Amityville Horror (the original), and The Substitute. There are more, but I can't see them from the sofa, and I can't be bothered moving right now, I'm tired, shut up, leave me alone, etc etc. Probably won't get through them all, but at least we have enough to get us through the weekend. We've also got Halloween decorations - including spooky balloons - and will be making the superb blood cocktails again. Here's a pic of our Rope Of Weapons, which you may clickyclicky for biggybiggy:

Fear me! For I have plastic knives and stuff, and will be getting drunk! God help any kids who come to the door, I suspect it will suddenly cease to be fun for them.

Last year, I was a judge for the 2 Days Later short film competition - you get 2 days to write, shoot, and edit a complete short horror flick. I was a judge again this year, and my favourite of the whole shortlisted bunch was On Ice, which I'm delighted to see won Best Short Film, Best Director, Best Cinematography, and Best Actress. The short looks great, is well directed, and is a nice, simple idea, well told. I look forward to seeing what they do next. In the meantime, you can watch the winning film here.

While you're watching things, why not watch this as a prelude to your Halloween shenanigans - the full length video for Thriller. Remember, Michael is not like other guys. In many, many ways.

So turn the lights off, stick on a scary movie or three, and have a scary Halloween. Otherwise I'll come round your house and brutally murder you, then flay you and run around outside wearing your skin, shrieking in Latin. And nobody wants that to happen. Except me, a little bit.


Abigail said...


Hope you all had a lovely Halloween!!!!

Dim said...

I had a subversive hallowe'n and dressed as a pirate. Not a scary dead zombie pirate, just a pirate. And i bought my missus a pirate wench outfit which she did not wear. "It's too small" she comlained I refrained from pointing out how us male pirates enjoy pirate wenches falling out of their wenchy clothes of an evening. (Sigh). Long wait til next year. How many people/kids did you flay, Mr M?

ben robinson said...

I love THE HIDDEN! Hope you had a great Halloween fella!

Dim said...

OK, just got through the feature-length version of "Dead set". Loved the situation, the tension and the characters (Andy Nyman in particular for being soooooo annoying. Wouldn't have recognised him as being the guy in Severance. Mark of a brilliant actor if you ask me. Oh, you didn't.) Anyway, what made me spit bullets was the down beat ending. Yes, it would have been trite and unbelievable if Kelly had watzed through all those monsters and ridden off into the sunset, but couldn't we have a little hope? Is the down ending a modern device to dodge cliche? Discuss.

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a good'un!
Although I'm seriously worried about your safety, what with getting drunk with all those knives hanging about! If you can't be trusted with a rifle you certainly can't be trusted with a 'Rope of Weapons' :P
And shouldn't you have watched Severence, out of loyalty?? I had a fancy dress party but couldn't get hold of a weevil costume so I had to make do with being the devil...and it didnt even look like Abaddon :(
Oh, and Dead Set was brilliant!! Patrick and Pippa made me laugh :')
....although I'm still having nightmares about the zombies :(

:) Charlotte3006 (it wont let me post this under my name, weirdly)

James Moran said...

Cheers all, had a lovely Halloween, watched lots of movies, played lots of Dead Space, drank lots of booze, and ate lots of sweets. Result. No kids came to the door at all, ungrateful bastards.

Dim: Yeah, I'm not a fan of the downbeat ending unless there's some sort of closure, it just feels like there's a beat missing - you can still end a story with everyone getting wasted, but it should be surprising in some way. I think so, anyway.

Charlotte: I've seen Severance about 20 times, wrote well over 20 drafts of it over about 2 years - much as I love it, given the choice, I'll watch something I haven't seen!