Thursday, November 20, 2008

Presents, filming, photos, and pumping

Christmas presents! Yes, my copy of Short Trips: Christmas Around The World arrived, and very lovely it is too. I have a story in there, "Companion", and I'm really proud of it. As I said before, this one is particularly special to me, partly because I wasn't sure if I could pull it off, partly because I'm really happy with the way it came out. The book has a lovely cover, and tons of great stories, although I've only read 3 others - the ones by Sir Jason of Arnopp, Lord Simon of Guerrier, and Dame Kate of Orman, which are brilliant. I'll get round to the others soon. It's released on the 1st December, and would make a lovely present for anyone in the world, ever. Even if they don't celebrate Christmas, or any of the many other end of year celebratory thingies (look them up yourself, that's what the internet is for). Call it a "year end" present, or something.

Speaking of presents, the Doctor Who series 4 box set is out right now, as we speak. Get yourself in on that action, you know it makes sense.

And I'm a guest on a podcast, The Chronic Rift, available here. It's a round table discussion, although I was at home, alone, talking to them on Skype, there was NO ROUND TABLE. There's your scandal, folks. I imagine you're probably feeling betrayed, confused, slightly aroused – that's okay. Just grab some flaming torches, and go burn down the nearest observatory, so that this kind of thing never happens again. But listen to the podcast first, it's good fun.

Back from Cardiff now, and yes, I was there to watch some filming. I can't say anything about it at all, so please try not to cause an international incident by asking. Don't make me get the UN involved. Because I don't know how. But! I do have a casting revelation - the latest sexysexual sex-recruit to the Torchwood team is a very handsome, talented chap called...


Oh, how embarrassing! It's me! Oh, okay, it's not me really, I just wanted it to be, but apparently the Beeb have "rules" about not letting scrawny writers with no acting experience ruin their shows by appearing on screen. Yeah, I know - kept down by The Man again. So I had some pics taken, partly for fun, partly so I can stop using that old pic of myself in the TARDIS any time I do an interview. Thank you to Brian for grabbing my camera and marching me around to the various cool bits in there. Although I jumped on to the invisible lift all by myself.

Obviously, I can't tell you anything about what I saw or heard on set, but suffice to say it was bloody good stuff. I can't wait for series 3 to be unleashed, it's going to knock quite a few socks off out there. There'll have to be an official BBC inquiry about the amount of people walking around, socks-less. Questions will be asked in Parliament. Questions like "dude, what's going on with the socks?"

While I was there, I took the opportunity to take the TARDIS for a spin around the universe. This is me, mid-flight:


"Hello? Captain Jack? ... ... Yeah, it's TV's James Moran here. Listen, I'm pumping this pumpy thing just like you did in Journey's End, but it's not working... ... Oh yeah? A twisting pump action, you say? Fair enough, I'll give it a go, you big sexy beast. Kthxbye."

What? What are you looking at? Hey, where are you all going?? I can be ten years old if I want, shut up.

13 comments:

Tikimama said...

I think I love you a little more for titling that picture "pumpyphone." Dirty and funny.

Dom Carver said...

I'd like one of those for Christmas please...no not the book, the Tardis... looks like fun.

liz said...

Sweet, simple adoration, dear. You are a star in this (southern) Yank's world. :) Keep up the kiddie-ness. I just bought a Legos castle set...

Salina said...

Your pictures are making me hyperventilate. SO COOL. *bows to you.* Ok, now I'm actually going to read it. >.>

Boz said...

But, um, if not the UN, how how about UNIT?

Phill Barron said...

Man, if I ever got onto the TARDIS set they'd have to drag me off, kicking and screaming, seven hours later whilst yelling at everyone that I was in fact the REAL Doctor.

"Leave me alone, you fuckers, or I'll regenerate all over you. Then you'll be sorry. Why aren't the damn shields working? Get off me! I live here! Help!"

BaaBaaDoodle said...

James -

You look like a kid in a candy store. I always did like that leather jacket/Sam Tyler/Life on Mars look you sport :).

So glad you enjoyed the Cardiff shoot.

FYI, Fires of Pompeii debuts on BBC America tomorrow. Hopefull, with respectful editing cuts.

Dozeymagz said...

Would it help if I superglued my socks on? Do you think that would work, or is there no hope at all for little toes to remain wrapped in woolly goodness?

Clarrisani said...

Yes, you pump that pumpy thing. Jack was enjoying that way too much... lol.

You didn't break the TARDIS, did you? I heard that it's a very fragile little thing. And exactly what noise does the Hub door make when it opens? I've always been curious about that. And how many people does it take to open it?

I won't ask you about the filming, because The Man would probably sic a Weevil on you if you say anything, right? But can I ask - are you happy with your episode so far? No details required.

Chuck said...

You are having entirely too much fun. If it were me in your shoes, I’d be afraid to blink, afraid that when my eyes opened again I’d be right here where I am today.

James Moran said...

Magz: Nope, there's nothing you can do to prevent the upcoming Sockpocalypse (Asockalypse?). May as well get used to living without them now. Maybe do one day with them on, one day off, to ease yourself into it.

Clarrisani: There are lots of bits that aren't firmly attached, apparently things get yanked off quite a lot. I refuse to say whether I broke anything though... Didn't open the Hub door, it was halfway open when I arrived, didn't think to try - next time, hopefully. As for my episode - I am very happy. Very very happy. I realise that everyone will think "oh you *would* say that though", but I'd just keep quiet about it all if I wasn't. So believe me - I am very very happy...

Dozeymagz said...

'Asockalypse' - love it! *Girly giggles*

John Soanes said...

"Apparently the Beeb have "rules" about not letting scrawny writers with no acting experience ruin their shows by appearing on screen", you say?
I refer the right honourable gentleman to the existence of 'Orrible', and politely disagree.
J