Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Things I am appearing at, and other links

Quick update on my movements (not *those* type of movements) in the next month or so, and a couple of links:

I'll be at Gallifrey from the 13th to the 15th February, at the LAX Marriott hotel in Los Angeles. It's the 20th annual North American Doctor Who convention, and it should be a right larf. Also at the event will be fellow writers Phil Ford, Keith Temple, Paul Cornell, Gary Russell, Rob Shearman, Simon Guerrier and David Gerrold - David Gerrold! Wahey! - lovely actors Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant, Gareth David-Lloyd, Kai Owen, marvellous producer Phil Collinson, and many more fabulous people. The convention schedule is here, and is packed with coolness. I'll be doing a LIVE commentary on The Fires Of Pompeii on Friday at 4pm, and will be on several interesting panels you should check out, some specifically to do with Torchwood and Doctor Who, some not. There are signing sessions every day, and thankfully this year there'll be stuff I can sign, tons of it, so bring it all along and get my illegible scribble (who the hell was "J___ M___"?) Obviously schedules are subject to change, mileage may vary, don't run with scissors, and I don't care if little Freddy did it first, if little Freddy jumped off a cliff would you do the same?? Jo's coming with me to Gallifrey, because she wants to join in the fun, and so that we can make a holiday of it all. Yay for holidays!

On the 26th February I'll be in Darlington at The Story Engine, aka the event formerly known as the Northern Screenwriters' Conference. I'll be there talking about writing for the tellybox, and Simon Beaufoy will be there too - Simon Beaufoy! Wahey! - which is marvellous news. There are loads of other panels, and it sounds like a great event. It's at the Darlington Arts Centre, on Thursday the 26th and Friday the 27th February, and costs £60 for the whole thing, plus free unlimited use of rubber chicken*.

And on the 7th March I'll be a guest at the De Montfort University event "Fantastic Writing - science fiction, fantasy and magic: Writing the future, the past, and other worlds". I will, of course, not be talking about writing, but will only talk about magic, specifically the magic that happens in my trousers. Oh, okay, I'll probably talk about writing a bit, too. Phil Ford will be there too, as well as Stephen Volk and Graham Joyce. Lee "AWOL" Thomson has been spreading outrageous lies about the event, so check out his blog post if you enjoy lies, perpetrated by dirty rotten liars who burn down orphanages (I have proof that he does this).

Speaking of burning down orphanages, Internet Jesus (Warren Ellis) recently commanded us all to send him a photo with a message to the world, on what is statistically the grimmest day of the year - January 19th. I partook in the experiment, and was rewarded, along with many others, with photographic exposure on his site here. Toast and marmalade can protect you against many, many things.

Sir Jason of Arnoppshire recently posted about five lines henceforth banned from all scripts, and I must say, I heartily agree. See his list here, and the comment discussion which ensued.

And finally, a random headline which made me laugh despite my boredom: Britons 'bored but happy' - study. Reading the full article, which says we are "more bored, tired, and less likely to know our neighbours than other Europeans", I'm just glad to find out we're good at something.

*There is no rubber chicken. I lied.

12 comments:

Rosby said...

It seems to be a steadfast rule, doesn't it? Particularly in horror films; if you're either absolutely terrified or cocky to the point of utter annoyance, the zombie/vampire/ghost will tear your eyeballs out. If you're lucky.

I hear tell there's going to be a sneak preview of series three at the New York ComicCon next month. Hurrah! Will you tell us afterwards which bits were yours, when it appears on the BBC Torchwood website? (Presuming it's a trailer-esque thing.)

BaaBaaDoodle said...

Wow, you are going to be busy, glad we got to pick your brains before things got too hectic. "Goats" is good to go :). Good luck on your trip and be thankful it's the west coast. We're snowed in and iced over here on the east coast.

Le Mc said...

I will make my assistant editor for Terrible Zodin say hi, she will be at Gallifrey.

Rob said...

I'll be at The Story Engine event and look forward to hearing your many words of wisdom. I also take cash for questions.

James Moran said...

Rosby: I will say nothing - certain plot keywords will activate the BBC chip implant, and my head will explode.

BaaBaa: Thank you, looking forward to seeing the result of Operation Goat...

Le Mc: Yes, please do - I don't bite or anything. Although sometimes I stab.

Rob: I have exactly one word of wisdom: Cheese.

Darren Goldsmith said...

January 19th? Pah! Self fulfilling prophecy if ever I heard one...

I bet the 20th is much worse... being doused in the anti-climax of nothing bad or miserable happening the day before.

Actually, a light bulb blew in my office on the 20th which, if not making it the grimmest day of the year so far, certainly made it the dimmest.

laurence timms said...

I take umbrage at the last statement in your post. I know our neighbours much better than other Europeans. As far as I know, neither the French, the Germans, the Spanish or indeed the Italians have had any contact with our neighbours whatsoever.

This stands to reason. We may have a town twinning arrangement with one or two other European settlements but taking the concept down to household level is clearly ridiculous. Can you imagine? 58 Acacia Avenue, twinned with Rue de Bourcy 39a? 12 High Street, twinned with Waldstrasse 9? The administrative overhead alone would cripple the EU budget.

I'm aware that our left-hand neighbours (the ones on the left as you face Timms Towers, not the ones who only ever use their left hands - they're across the street and down a bit) have been on a weekend visit to Finland. But Finland isn't Europe, is it? It's in some kind of nether region between the north pole and the icy wastes of the Siberan tundra. It's only Europe when you can communicate with the natives by speaking LOUD and SLOW. This doesn't work in Finland. They speak a language unknown to mankind, the origins of which cannot be traced despite the best efforts of the most cunning linguists.

So I stand by my initial statement. The authors of that so-called 'survey' are clearly Barking (twinned with Witten, Germany - true).

BaaBaaDoodle said...

James -

I keep meaning to ask, do you have any idea if the preview Euros Lynn is showing at NY Comic Con is from your TW series 3 episode?

James Moran said...

BaaBaa: No idea, honestly - I imagine it'd be a general trailery thing, but because the series is one long story it'll probably be weighted with stuff from the first couple of eps, so as not to give away too much. But I don't know - I'll have to wait and see with the rest of you. It's *that* secret...

Niel Bushnell said...

Hello, am new to your blog. Just saying hello (again) and looking forward to The Story Engine event.

Hello.

HayZee said...

Glad I checked in on the blog. I'm in LA until... 14th Feb! See you at Gallifrey!

HayZee

James Moran said...

Niel: Hello! Looking forward to that, should be good fun.

HayZee: And hello to you too, hope you found me in the mass of people.