Monday, February 02, 2009

Holiday and Cake Frenzy

Well slap my rump and call me a Spaniard, it's February already! And thank fuck for that, because January was pretty shite as far as I'm concerned. On the bright side, I got a writing job I really, really wanted - I fought for it, and got it, and it's going to be fantastic. It should be an interesting year, with the stuff I have lined up, and I'm looking forward to it. Also looking forward to slowing things down a bit, so I don't go insane again. Also also looking forward (hey kids! I'm a writer! look how I make the English language dance!) to a proper holiday.

Yes, assuming there are any flights from Heathrow due to the sudden heavy snow, we're off to Los Angeles tomorrow, staying in Santa Monica again, because it's lovely. We've got lots of cool stuff planned, and will then be at Gallifrey from the 13th to the 15th February. If you're at Gallifrey, come and say hello, and if you read the blog, let me know. It's always good to meet people who read this nonsense, so that I know you're all real.

Probably won't be blogging while I'm on holiday, but may send in the odd hello or pic, and will try to keep Twittering away. I'll have data roaming switched OFF, so that I don't get gang-shafted by the phone networks, but should have plenty of access to Wifi, which means I can still pop in occasionally. Or there may just be a deathly silence for 2 weeks solid. Don't be surprised if that happens. Or I could be back here immediately, due to being unable to find the airport under a huge snowdrift. Or just sending lots of angry Tweets from the airport. So many possibilities! Isn't life exciting??

Speaking of Twitter, I recently reached 200 followers, and we celebrated by having a Cake Frenzy. Everyone was asked to eat some cake, or biscuits, or something, and post photographic evidence. I think you can see them if you look on my Twitter stream, but if not, here's a summary: there was a lot of cake. Thank you all for following, and pretending to be interested in the ramblings of a madman. I recently Twittered some pics of the snow in my street and garden, which are here, here, and here. It's been strange seeing the effect on the country of the heaviest snowfall for 18 years. Strange, and quite scary. We were going to head into the city to pick up some things, but travel was out of the question. So we decided to order a pizza. I phoned up the local Domino's, but they said "sorry, we're not delivering today." Not... delivering... pizza...? OMG IT'S LIKE TEH FUCKING ROAD WARRIOR OR SOMETHING

Anyway, don't forget, if you're at the New York Comic Con on February 5th, Eve Myles and Euros Lyn will be there, and they're showing a preview trailer of Torchwood: Children Of Earth. I believe the trailer will be shown on the BBC, and BBC America websites too. No, I have no idea what will be in the trailer, or when the series will be shown, or what colour underpants the cast all wear. I *do* know, however, that series 3 is going to kick your ass and take your name, so watch out for that.

In the meantime, try and play nice with the other kids, and we'll talk when I get back. And don't pick that, it'll bleed.

8 comments:

iantos-first said...

wait a minute. You mean the cast WEAR underwear. THAT is shocking!

Have a good trip to LA-LA -Land.

Laurie said...

Hope your flight isn't delayed!

I agree, Santa Monica is beautiful...

I will be at Gallifrey and will be sure to say hello!!

Dim said...

All the best with the flights. We've had an inch of snow here in Bournemouth, so we're all locked in our houses for fear of roaming Polar Bears...If one more person says "This is good practice for when you move to Canada" I shall smash their face into the pavement and yell" No, they have fucking SNOW CHAINS and bloody go to work when it's just a sprinkling of snow, you faggoty-assed wet-end!" I'm a people person at heart.

Dozeymagz said...

I had NO cake in the house on the day of the Great Cake Frenzy! OR Biscuits! I now feel thoroughly deprived and sad.
Curse this healthy eating lark!!!!

PS - I do have a surprisingly vast amount of those little silvery bally cake decoration thingies - will they do instead or is it just too late for me? Am I now to be damned for all eternity in a cakeless wilderness?

Maybe I'll just scoff them all anyway...

I think I may have been far too long without sugar...

PPS - Have a great holiday!

Eleanor said...

Congratulations on boarding! :)

Noo said...

Oh dammit, I finally got used to my name and now will have to think up another one. Thanks for the warning.... My dad always calls me George, cause he kinda forgets he has three daughters and instead yells three boys names to start off with. Now just to think of a nice surname to go with that.

Have fun at Gallifrey, and please say hi to people named Pat there from me. You might eventually find the one that I actually know, plus it means you might make some new friends!

Snow? Pfft I'll give you heatwave from Australia gladly as a trade.

Le Mc said...

Caaaaaaake.

Congrats on your hard-won whatever, and enjoy the Con. Like I said, I'll try to get the Assistant Editor to say hi on behalf of all TTZ-ers.

James Moran said...

Laurie: Cheers, I made it safely, only landed 5 mins late. And do say hello!

Magz: The silver ball thingies will do - munch a handful, and you will be part of the Cake Frenzy...