Friday, March 27, 2009

Writing progress, Primeval, BAFTAs and Script Frenzy

Blimey, I can't believe I actually finished the big FAQ. Thank you for all the comments and feedback on it, very much appreciated. I'll add to it when necessary, and will probably do new posts linking to the edited bits when that happens. There's now a link to it in the sidebar, too. I've also added a special button to the end of every post, that lets you share it on other sites. You can now send any post, if you so wish, to people on Twitter, Digg, Facebook, and any number of sites that are not AT ALL about procrastinating, how dare you even suggest such a thing, I'm doing research, shut up.

The writing has been going well too, finished first draft of the TV script last week, then a TV outline/bible thingy this week, as well as sample scenes for the horror comedy movie I'm working on with some colleagues. There are another couple of potential movie things in the works, and two more new TV series at early development stage. I'm loving the work, after my time off, and long may it continue. I'll update about anything that moves forward, but at the moment most of it is a good way away from the screen, which doesn't make for exciting bloggery just yet. But I'll keep talking about stuff in my usual vague, nonsensical way. Also something Very Exciting may be happening this year, if I get off my arse and do something about it. More later.

My next upcoming TV thing will be Primeval, which starts this Saturday 28th March on ITV. I did the 2nd episode, which will air on the 4th April. The website has info and an interactive game, and you can follow Primeval on Twitter for other updates. After that, the next thing I've got on telly will be Torchwood, which I can exclusively reveal will be hitting your screens... sometime between right now and December 31st. No, I don't know.

The BAFTA Television Awards nominations have been released, and I'm very excited to have worked on two of the shows nominated in the Drama Series category - Doctor Who, and Spooks. So if they win, I can claim to be partially responsible - and will do so, naturally, as loud as possible. And because there are four shows nominated, I have a 50% chance of sharing in that glory. Nice!

If you've been toying with the idea of writing that spec film script, then why not go for it in April, with the Script Frenzy - write a 100 page script, in April, over 30 days. Bear in mind that in telly, you often get 2 weeks for a 60 page first draft - less if possible. 30 days is more than enough, if you can do 4 pages a day then you'll even finish early. And I reckon it doesn't have to be 100, a 90 pager is perfectly fine, especially if it's a genre flick. As long as it's about 90 or more, and finished, then I say you're a winner. Go for it.

And finally, don't forget you can still follow me on Twitter - if you don't, you've already missed several shared video watching frenzies (including The Hoff, Mr T, and some devil music), and a late night, drunken discussion about what constitutes a "spectacular rock epic" (i.e., NOT Def Leppard or 30 Seconds To Mars, yes, Kerrang TV station, I'm talking to you). See what you're missing?? How can you possibly stay away??

22 comments:

Antonia said...

Phew, it all sounds great! I'd love to 'see' a bible, so if you ever get the chance, and can somehow give us an insight into what one looks like, I'd be very grateful. Or are there various versions, and you can make your bible just how you like it?

Nicole said...

Yay for Script Frenzy. Writing a spec that will never see the light of day, but hey it's writing and that's all that matters right?

James Moran said...

Antonia: Will do a proper post about it. But when I'm doing them to convince a TV channel to spend money on the show, they're more of a taste of the show than a huge book-length thing. There's a section talking about what the show is (what it's like, the tone, typical adventures etc), a section on the main characters (a paragraph on each), and an outline of the first episode (only a couple of pages, keeping it fast and pacy). Sometimes there'll be a research section if that's appropriate, depends on the project. If I get any of them off the ground, I'll ask if I can put the original bible up here.

Nicole: Why won't it see the light of day? Once it's been rewritten several times, it should be a good writing sample at least, and possibly a script you can sell or get an agent with. It's about taking that first step to get a first draft done, really.

Antonia said...

ooooh thanks, James, that would be really interesting.

Adrian said...

Antonia,

You can find a selection of bibles here: http://tvwriting.googlepages.com/biblestudy

Splinter073 said...

Thanks for that link Adrian! I always wondered what a series bible would look like! I'm especially loving the Star Trek: The Next Generation one!!

Scaryduck said...

How about a live Primeval Twitter next Saturday?

Not that we want to tie you to your computer in your moment of glory or anything...

Antonia said...

Adrian, thanks so much for the link. I'll be digesting later today.

James Moran said...

Adrian: Thanks for the link - the Press Gang bible looks closest to the sort of ones I've been doing at the moment, with the breakdowns and so on, so that's a great one to read.

Scaryduck: That's a bloody good idea. I think I'm going to do it!

Nicole said...

James:

It's probably because I really don't have that much confidence in my writing.

I tend to see things happening in one way and then I get frustrated with it.

I agree that it is about taking that first step. Hopefully I'll just make it through :)

Thanks for the bit of encouragement there.

Shane Knight said...

Once the episode is out, would it be possible to have a look at the script or is it in some ITV vault under lock and key?

Lee said...

April 4th is my birthday - a James Moran dinosaur extravaganza will be the metaphorical icing on a very real cake.

Has your L&O:UK aired yet?

Dim said...

Just checked your Twitter page (I peeked at your Tweets, I guess....) and your followers are about to top 900. You could restage the film "300" three times over. If you wanted to. Ad you could find a day when everyone was free. Come to think of it, it seems a lot of effort for very litte reward. As you were, everyone.

Lee said...

On the subject of bibles, Antonia, I've just come into possession of Battlestar Galactica's, from 2003. Email me if you would like a copy.

Shane Knight said...

Can I ask for a copy of that please?

For some reason I can't find youe email

Lee said...

No problem. My address is in my profile (just click on my name to find it). However, where is yours?

rob said...

James!

Have you seen Dead Snow yet? Cuz if you haven't you really should. Zombies, Teenagers, remote cabins, Snow, Nazis, it's got it all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-KQh87_V2Q

Apologies in advance if you're all like Nazi Zombies are soooo last year, dude.

Antonia said...

Thanks, Lee. e mail coming up.

Antonia said...

Lee, e mails are bouncing back.

Lee said...

Antonia, are you using the Email link, or the mac.com one (which is for IM, and I've removed)?

James, sorry for the comment hijack. However can I make it up to you? (Please don't say "the usual way." I can't. Not again. The pay-offs last time were extraordinary.)

Antonia said...

Ooops, yes I think I must have been Sending again....

Oli said...

Liking the mythical aspect to the new series of Primeval. Shall be watching your apparently goblin filled episode with dips and chips.