Thursday, April 30, 2009

Doctor Who Magazine, Storybook 2010, and Severance


Some more news: The new issue of Doctor Who Magazine is out, which features two mentions of your humble blog host - there's a nice mention of my Primeval and Crusoe episodes, and the announcement of the upcoming 200 Golden Moments special issue, which features a small contribution from me.

Even more excitingly for me, they have officially announced the 2010 Doctor Who Storybook, in which I have a story called "The Haldenmor Fugue". It's one of the two stories I was working on recently, but I couldn't say what it was until now. Once again the storybook will be fully illustrated, featuring stories by several other talented folk, and should be in shops by August. I'm really pleased with how the story turned out - it was one I was wrestling with for ages before actually writing it, and was worried that it wouldn't work, but as soon as I started writing, it all somehow fell into place, and a new ending suggested itself as I went along. I'm extremely proud of it, and can't wait for people to read it.

Also, just so you know: yes, I am aware of this story. I don't want to comment on it until the trial is over, as there's a danger I might find myself in contempt of court (publication of material that might compromise a fair trial). So when the trial is over, and a verdict has been reached, I will then comment on it and explain how I feel about it. But for the newspapers and websites reporting it: it's a *woman* in the film, not a man, and it's not a *spoof* horror movie - it's an actual horror movie that has some funny bits in. Anyway, come back when the trial's over, and I'll be able to talk about it then.

10 comments:

Darren Goldsmith said...

I guess Dr Whom would have been an entirely different series...

0tralala said...

Same series, just a bit fussier.

James Moran said...

Dr Whom, the new series:

INT. TARDIS - DAY

Rose and the Doctor crowd into the tiny wooden box.

ROSE: Wow, it's really cramped in here. It's pretty much exactly the same size inside as I expected. So, does it travel through time?

DR WHOM: No, Rose. Time travel is impossible.

ROSE: Oh. But it *is* a spaceship, right?

DR WHOM: No. As a simple wooden box, it is entirely unsuitable for space travel - it has no air supply or means of propulsion. Now I think you'd better go home, before your mother starts wondering where you are.

ROSE: Oh, okay.

She leaves. The Doctor stays inside his wooden box.

THE END

Splinter073 said...

Hahaha! Brilliant! I've think you've just written your first sketch there! I'd actually like to see that in a show!

Darren Goldsmith said...

Without a doubt, a hit show! They went with the wrong fella...

Anonymous said...

As always, sir, you get to the heart of the matter of any show your write for! Now I want what Captain Jack, Donna, Mickey, Jamie, Peri et al would make of Dr Whom...

nancyhigh said...

Someone should tip the box over to reveal it's a coffin, then nail the damn thing shut (while the good Dr. shouts Jamesian-like prose)

Steve Barber said...

I can well imagine what your words regarding the trial will be.

That, and the Doctor Whom storty has quite a lot of potential.

"The last man on earth sat in his little wooden box. There was a knock at the door..."

clarrisani said...

lol about Doctor Whom. I'd love to see that played out. Would Mickey make a cameo running into the blue box with his car?

Sorry to hear about the court case. I've studied the media influence theory, which is a nice complicated mess. I won't comment too much on it til after the trail though. Good luck.

Steve Barber said...

James -
News from "Le Coast". Primeval Series 3 premieres on BBCA on May 16, with your episode the following week on May 23rd.

"At an abandoned house, the team discovers a creature from the future that can camouflage itself to any background. They also have to deal with an interfering cop who takes an instant dislike to them."

I was rather hoping you would include a guest appearance by The Stig, but look forward to it with empassioned eagerness.