Thursday, April 02, 2009

Script Frenzy!

Script Frenzy has officially started. Well, it started yesterday, but I forgot to blog about it. 30 days for a first draft of that movie script you've been putting off - why not give it a go? Even at 3 pages a day, that's plenty of time. Make sure you have a rough outline first, just to make sure you don't run out of story. But get stuck in.

And I don't want to hear about anyone not having the time. I wrote Severance while working full time, 5 days a week, and I could still do drafts in a few weeks, just taking a few hours every night and at weekends. Sure, I spent a year fixing it, because I didn't have an outline (see above, I mean it about having an outline). But it can be done. And once you have a first draft, you can soon have a second draft. And then a third. Re-writing a first draft is much easier than staring at a blank page. I know it can be difficult to find time to write. But if you find time to watch TV, surf the net, check your mail, then you can find time to write. Maybe even an hour a day, surely you can squeeze that in somewhere. If you don't make time to write, then how do you expect to get better? "Oh but you're faster than me because you've been doing it for longer" - yes, but when I started out, I was in your position, and I still made the time, and made myself go faster. A month is plenty for a first draft. I don't want to hear excuses. I want to hear the sound of furious keyboard mashing.

You're still here? You could be writing! MOVE!


Nicole said...

I'm writing, I'm writing. Seriously. Well not right now, but when I get home from work tonight.

rob said...

If I hadn't written a first draft feature screenplay in January I'd be all over it!

As it is I still need to fix the sitcom pilot I wrote over a year ago that wants to be a feature.

Bloody scripts. Always giving me shit. I probably should have had some kind of rough outline.

Sofluid said...

I'm also writing, but not for script frenzy this time. I'm workingon my COMING UP entry, continuing work on a feature film I'm collaborating woth others on and various other collaborative projects I have on the go.

It's reassuring to know that someone successful like yourself managed to work on something like Severance whilst holding down a full-time job... It just goes to show that perseverance is key.

I find, though, that my social life suffers. It must be a sign of my passion for writing that I'd rather stay in on a Friday night and work on my scripts than go to the pub, right?

Still, I find it hard to fathome how a lot of you bloggers manage to do so much... I mean, you're all watching TV, film, attending festivals, writing, blogging - and all whilst working full/part-time, too. Kudose to you all! I'm working on it...

Aha! I know your secret Moran! You've tapped into all that science fiction and have developed a time machine, haven't you! :)

Sofluid said...

Oh dear, my spelling and grammar suffered somewhat in my haste to write that reply (whilst at work, eek!) He he

Dozeymagz said...

yes SIR! *Snaps to attention*