Thursday, April 23, 2009

Various news items

Some news items and stuff, while I'm in the middle of writing other things:

Fans of Doctor Who/Torchwood/Sarah Jane Adventures might want to check out a one day convention on June 6th, called Utopia, in London (who knew Utopia was really to be found in London, coh, what a surprise, etc etc). Among the guests are Toby Whithouse (writer for Doctor Who, Torchwood, and Being Human), Carole Ann Ford (Susan, the Doctor's grand-daughter), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa, companion of the 4th and 5th Doctors), James Strong (director for Doctor Who and Torchwood), Tracey Childs (Metella in my Pompeii episode of Doctor Who), and a very handsome, talented writer for TV and film called-- oh, how embarrassing! It's me!

Yes, I'll be there, talking, answering questions, signing things, and so on. There are lots of other guests, and more to come, with panels, Q+A's, etc, so if you like the sound of that, come along to the Cockpit Theatre in London. As I post this, there are only 36 tickets left - 40 quid for adults, 20 quid for kids - so snap them up if you want to go. Update: Only 28 tickets left now!

The new Torchwood magazine is out here in the UK, with lots of stuff and photos of the upcoming series. They've also announced a book of short stories, called Torchwood: Consequences, which explores how Torchwood's actions can sometimes have far reaching effects. It all sounds really good, especially considering they've got people like Joseph Lidster, David Llewellyn, Andrew Cartmel, and an incredibly handsome, talented writer called- oh, how even more embarrassing than the last time! It's me! Yep, I'm doing one of the stories, it's quite a long one (ooh, matron) and I got away with all sorts of mayhem. It'll be released in October.

Several people have asked about Law & Order UK, but I'm actually not working on that any more - things got way too busy last year, so I had to step aside, and I don't have any episodes in the show. I know, I should have mentioned this earlier, but you know what I'm like with blog punctuality... But I had a great time working on the show while I was there, learned a lot, and got to meet the whole cast, including Jamie Bamber, who actually flies a Viper in real life (probably). You have no idea how hard it was to *not* say things to him like: "so, how was your flight over? Any turbulence...? Cylons...?" Somehow I managed to stay professional and not behave like a giggly schoolkid. Much.

Another bit of Primeval fun: Just after the episode had aired, it had only been a few days since the character was introduced, but already there was slashfic out there featuring Danny Quinn. I was very impressed at the speed of this. By the way, I got to give Danny his last name, and decided to name him after one of my best mates, Emmet Quinn. I won't tell him about the slash, though. Well, not until I can do it in person so I can see his face. (Just a reminder: I'm not allowed to read anything like this, be it slash, fic, or unrelated stuff, for various boring legal reasons, so please don't send me any etc. But I can look at the titles, and see who is being paired with who, which fascinates me.)

10 comments:

Salina said...

this is me, doing some math.


O.O

spikewriter said...

(Just a reminder: I'm not allowed to read anything like this, be it slash, fic, or unrelated stuff, for various boring legal reasons, so please don't send me any etc. But I can look at the titles, and see who is being paired with who, which fascinates me.)Naturally you can't read any fic; don't want that murky ground of someone potentially claiming you stole their idea. However, would it be entertaining for us to come up with some appropriate titles and tag lines that might...entertain your friend?

(Surely you knew we'd come up with slash fic; were you just surprised by how fast it happened?) ;)

James Moran said...

Salina: Your sums appear to be correct, adding up to the amount of Awesome.

Spikewriter: Nothing that indicates the plot (e.g. when prawns invade Cardiff, Jack is forced to make thousands of prawn sandwiches to dispose of them). But titles and pairings are safe...

And yes, I knew it would happen, just didn't think it would be within 3 days!

eandh99 said...

3 days? The first Jack/Ianto/stopwatch slash hit the interwebz about 10 minutes after the episode finished. You can do better next time James.

Chris Page said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
James Moran said...

eandh99: I will try harder next time...

Chris Page: Love Jason Flemyng, he's great. I had to delete your comment though, as you had a whopping great SCC spoiler in there - nearly didn't get to watch last night's until Monday, and you would have totally spoiled me, guv. Good job I saw the ep beforehand... But I'm snipping the comment just in case others haven't seen it yet. Careful with those spoiler bombs...

Anonymous said...

Erm.
As possibly the author of the Danny story you're talking about, can I just say how very, VERY glad I am that you're not allowed to read it?

PLEASE carry on living in blissful ignorance on this matter!!!

CDH said...

James: Didn't you slash yourself with Quinn on Twitter during the live watch? Hee!

And your responsible for Danny's last name? I shall forever blame you for The Mighty Quinn tag floating around the fandom now. *glares*

;-)

James Moran said...

Anon: Ha! Nothing to worry about, the titles and pairings are plenty for me...

CDH: I did, also me and Jack Bauer. And Connor/Lester- which everyone thought I was joking about, but keep watching. Obviously they won't actually be *doing* things like that in the show, but there'll be enough mileage to allow slash to ensue. I even had some mild hints in an early draft, but alas, time constraints mean these things vanish along the way.

Gizensha said...

See, if I had anything mainstream (...Or anything with a decent sized fandom, actually), I'd be too tempted to deliberately stirr shipping wars to find out who's pairing who.

@eandhh99 - That's nothing. The Arthur/Merlin slash started existing before the first episode was shown.