Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Projects update

It's a funny thing, blogging. Especially if your job involves lots of things you can't really talk about. You want to be informative or entertaining, preferably both, but a lot of the time your hands are tied (and not in a good way). I've got several projects in development right now, none of which I can talk about yet, because they're all waiting for the next stage in the process. Until any or all of them start getting made, it's not appropriate for me to discuss them in detail. There are usually non-disclosure clauses in the contracts, too. I could refer to them vaguely, and call them Secret TV Show this or Secret Movie Thing that, which I did for a while, but it just gets annoying for everyone. So it's better to just not say much about them at all, and wait until there's something to report. Like these things:

Highlander: I've written my first ever audio play for Big Finish, for the second season of their Highlander range. The most excellent Scott Andrews has written the first three, and I've done the finale - they're standalone stories, but have a big arc too, which we co-plotted. They'll feature the Four Horsemen from the TV series, and are recording this week, which I'm looking forward to. I've never seen an audio recording, but I imagine everyone stands around in smoking jackets, in front of huge, old fashioned, BBC-style microphones, smoking cigars and drinking martinis. I'll be wearing my own smoking jacket and bringing a cocktail shaker, just to make sure that nothing goes wrong. There are some more details in the May Big Finish podcast starting at around 22 minutes and 55 seconds. Not sure when the plays are out, so keep an eye out for more news.

Doctor Who game: In another first for me, I'm working on a computer game. It's part of a series of interactive episodes of Doctor Who, with Matt and Karen doing the voices. There are lots more details at this link here, and you can see a trailer for the first one here. I can't say any more until later, but they're looking fantastic so far, and I'm very excited to be writing for the 11th Doctor and Amy.

Cockneys Vs Zombies: This is a horror comedy movie I've written, which starts filming this summer, and is going really well. It's great fun, very silly, and full of proper zombie action. They're old school, slow zombies, by the way, which is always the first question I get asked. The second question is, "can I be a zombie extra" - I don't know, maybe, I know there are several scenes with lots of zombies, so if we do need extras I'll get the word out here and on Twitter. I'm hoping to be a zombie extra myself, which I shouldn't find too difficult - shuffle around, moan, and don't say anything?? That's just me when I'm hungover or ill. But with a bit more blood than usual.

Big Finish Short Trips: The book range is no more, but the audio version is alive and well. Recently they held a competition to write an audio short story for this year's CD releases, and the winners are announced here. Along with the winners, several established writers will be included, including Lord Jason "Jason Arnopp" Arnopp who blogs about it here, Viscount Simon "Grrrrr" Guerrier, Richard Dinnick, Kate Orman, Andrew Cartmel, and a handsome, talented chap called - oh, how embarrassing! It's me! Although you probably expected that, seeing as this whole post is about things I'm working on.

Crusoe: The Region 1 DVD has been out for a while, but it's finally been released here on Region 2 DVD (on Amazon and Play). Showrunner and all round brilliant gent Stephen Gallagher talks more about the writing of the show on his blog.

I posted the Girl Number 9 news in the previous post, so won't repeat myself here. I'll talk about the actual production of it later, because I learned a lot and had a great (if exhausting) time. In the meantime, check out Dan's brilliant, detailed aftermath post here, and read the rest of his blog for other snippets. You might get the impression from various things he says that we've got something else web-related in the pipeline, and the truth is-- oh! Blog post cliffhanger! You'll have to wait until another time to find out more…