Saturday, June 05, 2010

Highlander recording, Doctor Who game, Wales Comic Con

Most of my Highlander audio play has now been recorded, and I went to Big Finish to see the first half being done a few weeks ago - for various logistical reasons, they had to be recorded separately. I announced on The Twitter recently that the guest voice in mine is the delightful Tracy-Ann Oberman, but if you missed it or aren't on there, well, here you go. The plays are based around The Four Horsemen from the TV series, so you can probably guess who else will be in them. Not sure if I can say which one mine is yet, so I'll hold off for now. I'm really chuffed that Tracy-Ann was up for the part, and will continue to make it my mission to try and get her cast in everything, because she's brilliant.

It's a very relaxed, different kind of atmosphere to a TV or film set. There's the control booth, with nice sofas, and on the other side of the glass, a few small recording booths with microphones, chairs, and not much else, really:

There's no lighting to set up, not much preparation required, the actors can just walk in, get themselves sorted, and start acting, which I'm sure they appreciate. They don't have to glam up or anything, and can just turn up in casual clothes and bring their voices. Having said that, of course The Oberman looked *immaculate* as always, because some people are just fabulous 24 hours a day... Most of the sessions involve one or two takes after a quick run through, and they usually get it first time. Tracy-Ann was superb, and brought the character to life beautifully, she's an absolute gem. Acting opposite her, playing several parts, was the brilliant Big Finish regular John Banks - I couldn't see him from where I was sitting, so it was as if there were about 40 different actors in the other booth. They then did half of another audio, where Tracy-Ann played a completely different character with a different accent, and again, it was like someone else entirely had walked in. Actors, I am in awe of your talents.

Halfway through, I experienced the legendary Big Finish lunch. Every time I mentioned BF to people, they would always go misty-eyed, and say "ahhh, the lunches…" It got to the point where I thought they were taking the piss, and the lunch would be awful. But no, it was as amazing as they'd promised, and we all stuffed our face. I realise this is an incredibly boring paragraph to 95% of you, but to the 5% who have been wondering about the lunches, put your minds at rest. However, there were no cigars, martinis, old-fashioned BBC-style microphones, and I didn't seen even ONE smoking jacket. Dreams?? Shattered. But the plays are coming along really well, and are going to be great. Still not sure when they'll be released, I'll update when I know anything.

The first Doctor Who game is released now! For Windows, anyway, the Mac version will be out on the 15th, both are downloadable but you need internet access to play (it checks to make sure you're in the UK). If you live outside the UK, you'll be able to purchase it sometime in July. Yes, purchase. We UK folk get it "free" because we pay a TV licence fee. According to several people, the Windows version apparently works in Linux using WINE, but obviously that's not supported or guaranteed, don't complain to us if your computer shoots out black oil and bees, or explodes, or both. The first episode, City of the Daleks, is written by Phil Ford, and it's fantastic. No idea when the others are due out, you'll be the first to know once it's decided. Well, second to know, after The Twitter. Well, after everyone else who needs to know before that.

And finally, here's an event you might be interested in: The Wales Comic Con is on 19th September (link goes to Facebook event page), from 10am to 5pm. It's at Glyndwr University, Wrexham, and costs £5 for adults, and a mere £3 if you're under 14. Guests include Kai Owen off of that Torchwood show, Larry Kenney, the voice of Lion-O from the original Thundercats series, and Mike Edmonds, who has been in loads of things like Return of the Jedi (as Logray the Ewok, and also as Jabba the Hutt's tail), Time Bandits (as Og! I love Og!), Flash Gordon, the Dark Crystal, but even more excitingly, the Safety Dance video (warning: watching that video makes you go insane). Another guest you may have heard of is a devastatingly handsome, talented chap called - oh, how embarrassing! It's me! Yes, I'll be appearing - "appearing"? I mean, I'll be there, I won't *appear*, out of nowhere, I'll probably just walk through a door - at the event, so hopefully I'll see some of you there. Come and say hello, I don't bite. For less than £20.