Thursday, December 23, 2010

2010: The Year We Make Contact

Almost 2011 already?? Blimey!

It's been a strange year, 2010. Some really amazing stuff has happened, some not so amazing stuff. Feels like a year of preparation and planning, even though I've actually done some real, solid things too. One TV thing that has just gone to the powers that be, took 2 years to get to this point - 2 years of meetings, outlines, notes, scripts, all to get to a final episode draft. It's all exciting stuff, working with cool, smart people, but can feel like a really long, slow marathon at times. I've done a huge amount of work this year - 3 TV episode scripts, 3 film scripts, a computer game, short story, many outlines, among other stuff - but the only thing that you'll have actually seen is the Doctor Who game and Torchwood Magazine short story. Feels weird not having anything on TV for so long, but there's a lot of stuff going on in the background that you won't hear about until it's made.

It's also been a year of uncertainty, of wondering how the TV and movie worlds will cope in these difficult times, never knowing what the next job will be until it arrives - but again, that's always the case with this business. You never get to a place of total security and safety, you're in the wrong job if you want that. So you have to keep working, keep building new relationships, meeting new people, while doing things with people you already know and trust, always moving forward, always believing that this particular project at this particular time will get made. It's never easy. Sometimes it can feel like you're getting nowhere, taking a step backwards, even. But it's all necessary, you have to be patient, optimistic, and trust in the process and the people.

Having said all that, I still wouldn't trade it for *anything*. This is the best job in the world. I get to make up stories for a living, stories about immortals, swashbuckling adventurers, zombies, serial killers, aliens, time travellers, heroes, villains, spies, and brave, ordinary people thrown into extraordinary situations who somehow find the inner strength to overcome impossible odds. I get to take moments from real life and write my own version where everything works out. I get to show you the dark, horrible things that can happen. But sometimes I also get to show you the good guys winning, the bad guys getting punished, and cool stuff exploding.

Hopefully all this planning and work means that 2011 will be a frantically busy year of projects taking off and getting made. I've already got one movie set to shoot, with more planned, and the TV stuff dangerously close to happening too. It feels like I've been in training all year, getting fit for the big match, and I'm all ready to get out there and show what I can do.

Could all come to nothing, of course, but I believe it will all work out. I believe 2011 is going to kick ass and take names. I believe it because I'm going to damn well make it happen. And I hope you all make stuff happen too. Have a fantastic Christmas break and new year, and I'll see you on the other side!