Monday, March 21, 2011

Cockneys Vs Zombies starts shooting

Today was the first day of shooting on Cockneys Vs Zombies, and it went really, really well. I won't be spending every single day on set, but I absolutely had to be there for the first day - it's been a while since I've had a movie made (mid 2005, then released in August 2006), and I'm a bit excited about it. Yes, I've done lots of TV work since then, so it's not like I've been away, but I still get a thrill every time I see something of mine filmed. There's nothing quite like seeing your words come to life, it *never* wears off.

Once again, I got that weird, repeating shock every time the cameras rolled: blimey, it's cool watching a movie being made - hmm, that sounds familiar - hang on, that IS familiar - holy shit, I wrote those words - holy bumbiscuits, they're filming my script! I wrote this! How the hell did that happen?? - okay, settle down, relax, just enjoy it - blimey it's cool watching a movie being made - hmm, that sounds familiar - etc etc.

Obviously I can't go into detail on what happened, but the cast and crew are doing amazing work, I couldn't be happier. It looks beautifully cinematic, the actors have completely brought the characters to life, and there's a real buzz on the set. It's a pleasure to watch everyone work - I'd love to stick around every day, but I've got too much writing to do at the moment. I'll be popping in and out regularly, though, just to enjoy what they're all doing. It's in very safe hands. And it's going to knock your fackin socks off, you muppet!

And I didn't do too badly at my on-set job - which is to get in the way of crew members, step on cables, and accidentally get in the shot. Totals so far:

People I got in the way of: 5
Cables I stepped on: 3
Shots I accidentally got in: 0 (must try harder)

Not bad for my first day...

Update: See below for a photo of the "A camera" clapperboard from the very first day of shooting - it's still marked with the details of the final shot of the day. 38th camera setup, scene 73, take 4. As usual, you may clickyclicky for biggybiggy: