Wednesday, August 22, 2012

FrightFest Eve

Tomorrow, Cockneys Vs Zombies has its world premiere at FrightFest, the annual 5 day celebration of gore and mayhem in London. On Monday, Tower Block has its world premiere... in the same place, as the closing movie. You probably already know that I'm very, very excited about all this. I can't wait to see the movies with that audience, I've been thinking about it ever since I first started writing them. Also tomorrow is the Cockneys press junket, an interview for the Horror Channel, and several more interviews later. So it's quite a busy day.

It's a very strange, magical feeling, screening your new movies to people. I've been thinking back to my last movie premiere, 6 years ago this week, for Severance, also at FrightFest. You can read my blog post about the whole evening here, it still makes me feel warm and fuzzy to re-read it. I'm starting to feel the same nervous excitement, which I get before anything like this, that weird anxiety and worry, even though there's not really anything to worry about.

Well, maybe one thing to worry about. At the Severance premiere, the cinema had 832 seats. I thought that was a lot of people to stand up in front of. This time, at the Empire cinema, thanks to the screening selling out completely, there'll be 1330 people looking back at me. That's... a number. Yes. Certainly a number that exists. A large one. Eep. But I'm fairly sure the audience will like both movies. And if not, I'm sitting on the aisle so I can run away quickly.

I'll be part of the intro with the cast and crew before the movie, and will be wearing a suit, because I promised Alan Ford that I'd wear one to the first public screening. He's always immaculately dressed, and has expressed displeasure with how us young folk dress these days. So I'm going to dress up posh. Partly for him, partly because if the photos appear anywhere, then my mum won't have to worry about me being scruffy.

If you're going to FrightFest, I hope to see you there. I'll probably be rushing around like a lunatic tomorrow up until the start of the movie, but will be around for the whole festival, looking increasingly pale and confused as the weekend continues.