Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Swanwick Writers' Summer School

I'm going to be a guest speaker at this year's Swanwick Writers' Summer School, a week-long conference for writers, from 10th to 16th August.

Terrifyingly, I'm the opening night speaker, which means I'll have to actually give a speech, rather than do a standard Q&A. I'm planning on talking about things I've learned, things I've yet to learn, and will try to make sense of my own career.

The current working title is "Murdering innocent people for fun and profit".

Hey, I never said it would be tasteful.

I'm also leading a short course on Sunday, assuming the opening night talk doesn't go horribly wrong, and I don't get deported from Derbyshire (that's a country, right?) Both days will probably involve swearing, scurrilous stories, and weeping (me AND anyone listening).

So go check out the website and see if you like the look of it, despite me sullying their reputation. They've got lots of other speakers, courses and workshops - and there's a bar. I probably should have mentioned the bar first, I know what writers are like.