Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Being weird

Last year I wrote about my regular writing career stock-take, which you can read here if you want to remind yourself. I’ll wait. Okay, you're taking too long, I'm carrying on. This particular stock-take went on slightly longer than usual, as it turned out there were some big decisions to make, due to various life and career changes. In a way, it’s still happening now, as I still have some decisions left over. I’m trying to refocus certain areas of my career, and it all takes time to work out.

One thing I’ll definitely be doing, however, is More Weird Stuff.

It’s important to try something that scares you every once in a while, to keep yourself sharp, to challenge yourself. And sometimes you need to jump off the path entirely, and try something random and weird. I’ve already done some weird stuff, things I didn’t expect to be doing - YouTube videos, tutorials, interviews, silly Vines, Instagrams - but I keep getting the urge to do more. It's sort of a hobby, now that my original hobby has become my job.

You probably don’t know - because I rarely mention it - that I have a Tumblr page. That’s for random things, Instagram reposts, links, etc. I also made a few other Tumblr pages - Loki as Withnail (a collaboration with James Henry with some NSFW words), Unhelpful Game Messages, and Unhelpful Product Reviews.

None of these are of any help to my career, none of them will help me pay the bills, they’re just weird things I felt like doing, to amuse myself and hopefully amuse anyone else that stumbled across them. I haven’t updated them for ages, and have now opened them up so people can submit posts. Go be weird there, if you like. We can be weird together.

I’m doing a new weird thing next week, but I’m not even sure what it is, yet. Maybe I’ll do more of it. Maybe not. I don’t know what it would be if it continued, or how it would work. But I just feel like doing it, and that’s good enough for me right now. It'll be online as soon as it's ready, which shouldn't take more than a week.

Weird is good. Different is good. Whatever you do this year, do something weird.