Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Mina Murray's Journal

New Secret Webseries Thing!

I've been beavering away on something in secret for a while, and now it's finally out in the world - Mina Murray's Journal, a modernised, vlog adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. I've flipped the characters around so Mina and Lucy are the heroes, it's all told vlog-style, and I'm massively proud of it.


It stars Rosie Holt, Kate Soulsby, Liam Dryden and Matt Hargreaves, season 1 is shot and in the edit, and you can see a trailer right now:



UPDATE! The episodes are online now! Go to our YouTube channel to watch and subscribe!

This is my first webseries since 2009's Girl Number 9, which got several Streamy nominations, the first UK webseries to do so. Back then, the UK web scene was nothing like it is now, and we faced an impossible struggle convincing people to fund a second season or any other webshows, they just couldn't visualise how it would all work. Things are miles better now, people get it, and there are lots of talented folk out there.

The idea for Mina came a couple of years ago, but I didn't write it down or do anything about it, as I didn't know if anyone would be interested, or if it would even work. Attending my first GeekyCon convention, I was inspired by the amazing, creative attendees - I realised that they would get it, they'd know what I was trying to do.

So I wrote it up, got some very cool, clever people involved, and now it's officially A Thing. It wouldn't have existed without the GeekyCon audience inspiration, so I did a sneak peek at ep1 while I was there this year to thank them for giving me the motivation to do it.

It's funny, it's scary, it's aimed at audiences of all ages, so there won't be gore or swearing, which may surprise you if you're only familiar with my horror work, but I've done plenty of family and kids' shows too. I really wanted to do something fun and different, and hopefully I've managed that.

The show will start airing on YouTube next month, so keep an eye on the website, the Twitter account, the Facebook page, and subscribe to the YouTube channel to make sure you don't miss anything. It's a Moranic Production, one of the first projects from my & Cat's production company, so have a look at the site to see what else we're cooking up.